We Are Chefs

WeAreChefs

Ever since I first heard about molecular gastronomy I was hooked. Now since my spanish is a little rusty I haven't been able to find a lot of information about it. I'd love to find a good site or some books that I can start to dig through between studying and working. I know that there are a few books written primarily in spanish with one or two that have been translated into english, but I'm hoping that someone will have a better idea of where I should look next.

For anyone that's interested in the molecular gastronomy there are quite a few cool videos on youtube as well as a restaurant in chicago called moto that does strictly molecular gastronomy meals and they have some very impressive videos.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Molecular gastronomy is the application of science to culinary practice and more specifically the gastronomic phenomenon. The term was coined by the French scientist Hervé This and Hungarian physicist Nicholas Kurti. Both researchers worked on the scientific preparation of certain foods: Nicholas Kurti gave a talk in 1969 at the Royal Institution called The Physicist in the Kitchen "Physicist in the Kitchen").

Molecular gastronomy, is related to the physico-chemical properties of food and technological processes to which they are subjected, such as mixing, the gel, and the increase in viscosity, to name just a few. This will depend on the ingredients that are selected, the mixtures are made between them and the techniques are applied. The foods are organic compounds (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and vitamins) and minerals, which are subject to prosecution if they are capable of being transformed properties in foams, emulsions, gels or other structures. that can be infinite in food, since it is constantly innovating.

The application of scientific principles to the understanding and development of the preparation of household kitchens. (Peter Barham) The art and science of choosing, preparing and eating a good meal. (Thorvald Pedersen)

The scientific study of it delicious. (Harold McGee)

Affiliate promotion

Check out the book Molecular Gastronomy Exploring the Science of Flavor by Herve This
There is a place for every type of food preparation style. As much as MG amazes us all, in modern times, we take for granted what centuries of people did to preserve food without refrigeration. Does anyone think about that pickle served with their sandwich, or the smoked salmon we put on our canapes? That aspect of food science still amazes me. To learn how to preserve/pickle fruits & vegetables, smoke/dry/cure/pickle fish & meats, dehydrate/dry fruits, make cheese, etc... but that has already been done before, so its not on the top 10 list of things to know for most young chefs. This MG is fun to play with if you have the right equipment, supplies, etc....but is it functional? Not really. Does your customer request to have beet flavored peas? No. At a Texturas demo that I attended, the only application I saw to be practical were the parmesan noodle, which is great for wheat allergic customers....but how often do they come through the door asking for that?

I have eaten at Moto's in the meat packing district of Chicago, during our trip to the annual NRA show. My chef and I wanted to try a new food experience and taste for ourselves what all the rave was about. I have to admit it was incredible. We had a lemon drop martini that the lemon flavor was packed into a bright yellow egg yolk sphere that laid at the bottom of the glass. It popped with a lemony pang when broken. Amazing. What was cool, was the edible menu printed with squid ink. If you go, get at least the 10 courser. I believe we did the 6 or 8? The waiter/chef told us that there were hidden cameras in the dining room so the kitchen staff could monitor customer reactions. Also, we were told the waiters were also the chefs who alternated FOH service time. What a better way to get a question answered and have the chefs make bank on tips? This set up was ingenious....not to mention the unusual plates and eating utensils that are also designed by the chef/owner himself.

It was great to experience, but I wouldn't trade my little neighborhood hole in the walls serving up everyday people food for anything. Rich people need something new to spend their money on, therefore its up to a chef's personal aspirations where he/she wants to go with their career. It never hurts to learn and try something new. Its not for everyone. To me...its just a novelty.
I think there's an extreme and a basic level to MG, just like anything else. There are plenty of starches/chemicals/additives out there that make a sauce or soup or gravy have that better smoother mouth feel a more viscous consistency with shine and color. is that MG?....could be
I can see when the older chefs totally disagree with this MG stuff...but was there a time when they were younger looking for new and diff ways to do things the older chefs to them were in the same seat?
i think as long you can apply your MG to a recipe and combine it with other ingredients and make it tasty then why not.
Not a fad, more like a trend... I like molecular gastronomy... But. 50 years from now the classics will still be here and there will be a new trend!!!
Mark-
I am also very intersted in M.G. and your right when you say there isnt many books out there on this topic. what i have learn to do is to think about the end product i want and then work my way back to classic Fench techniques. and i really dont think that M.G. is just a passing fad, i think that chefs and young cooks are taking the elements of M.G. and appling them to their everyday meals.

I am working on a new idea in the culinary world that has to do with sounds and the food we eat. The reason for this is we "eat with our eyes first then our smell and finially our taste", but what about sound were missing out on the possibilitys of sound.

Steve
A good book on MG is called "The Science of Cooking" by Peter Barham. I have been working with MG concepts and techniques for a little over 2 years now and that was the first book I purchased.

As far as whether it's a passing fad...I think there are certain techniques that will be a passing fad. Things like foux caviar and and foams will go by the wayside at some point. Although I do incorporate a coffee caviar with my tiramisu for a garnish. Chemicals like Activa, are used in all sorts of applications that we've seen for years. How do you think McDonald's get all their chicken nuggets to come out looking the same?

When it comes right down to it, the "culinary magic tricks" of MG will be forgotten at some point. However, cooking food has been and will always be a science and that's what MG is really all about. It's the study of the science behind all the chemical reactions that happen during the cooking process. If you truly understand what food is doing chemically then you can understand how to manipulate textures to bring a different dining experience to the average person.
Hi Mark I think it is a great marriage of cooking art and science that is here to stay. ferran Adria talks in the el Bulli movie extensively about something new being an emotional experience for his guests, about making them feel a certain way, and to me that is art. i think its here to stay, plus now those 16 credits in orgo and gen chem are comng in handy!

beth

Have a look at my blog there are posts on sous vide, pearls etc..

http://charlottejulienne.blogspot.com/

www.charlottejulienne.blogspot.com 

RSS

© 2014   Created by ACFChefs.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service